Sterling silver, also called 925 silver, oxidizes when in contact with ambient air. Sterling silver is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper, and copper oxidizes by reacting to humidity in the air. That's why you get tarnished jewelry if you store them in your bathroom or a humid environment. Chemicals like bleach, body and styling products can speed up the oxidation process.
Tips to help you care for your silver jewelry
- Keep your sterling silver jewelry in a low humidity place. Never leave your jewelry in your bathroom; it's the worst place to store your jewelry!
-Store each piece in airtight bags (small Ziploc). At Ve, we keep each of our jewelry in small Ziploc bags. Then have them stored in an airtight box with compartments. In this way, they keep their colour and polish for a very long time!
-Wear your jewelry often. Friction with the skin and contact with natural oils will help protect and cleanse them.
- Clean your silver jewelry with a soft dry cloth or a silver polishing cloth. Clean them often to save you hours of cleaning in the future! And make sure there is no dust on your cloth to avoid scratching your pieces.
-Avoid wearing them in the shower, in the pool or the hot tub. The humidity will cause oxidation to appear.
- Put on your styling products, perfumes, deodorants, lotions and makeup first. You can put your jewelry on when the skin has absorbed the lotion.
How to clean silver jewelry at home
You will need:
Salt or baking soda
This homemade DIY sterling silver cleaner is one of the best ways to clean your jewelry at home. If you have tarnished earrings, rings, chains and bracelets in your jewelry box, use this method to bring your tarnished silver jewelry to shine again, naturally!
It is a very effective and gentle way to clean and shine silver and stones. It will take off oxidation without scratching the jewelry. If your jewelry a little oxidized, the oxidation should completely disappear after cleaning.
The mix of aluminum foil, baking soda or salt and boiling water will cause the oxidation to react and will shine the silver.
If your jewelry has gemstones, make sure that you won't damage them by using this method. This mix is very gentle on most stones. But please, check your stone care indications before using this method if you are unsure.
-Line the bottom of the bowl with aluminum foil.
-Put a tablespoon of salt or baking soda in it. -Pour hot (almost boiling) water into the bowl. Mix until the baking soda or salt dissolve.
- Cover the jewelry entirely in the mixture and let them soak for 5 minutes.
- Rinse them in cold water under the tap to remove the salt or bicarbonate. Use your soft cloth or microfiber cloth to wipe them.
-Polish each of them by rubbing them with your cloth in a circular motion. Apply a little pressure to make them shine!
With these tips, your jewelry will be like new!